Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Rocked My Vote...and You?

People I did it…I have successfully cast my vote for our next President. As a matter of fact, as I pulled up to the polls, I cried as Sam Cooke’s “A Change is Gonna Come” played on the radio. A barrage of memories came to the forefront of my memory…the strongest one being a story shared by my pastor this past Sunday. He shared the story of his great grandmother, and how she walked just to cast her vote. It went something like she walked 12 miles to where she was to vote for them to tell her that she was not from that district. She walked to the next district she was sent…another 15 miles or so. She arrived to her destination for them to tell her, “Nigger, you are too late to vote.” She didn’t get to vote that year, but was sure to be the first in line to vote the next year.

When I think about voting, I think about the above and much more. I think about my ancestors who had to go through so much, just so that I could have this right. I think about their unselfish act of being sprayed with fire hoses, bitten by dogs, beaten by the masses (physically, mentally, and spiritually), lynched, and killed in all sorts of despicable fashions; all for the benefit of me.This was actually the first time casting my vote for a President. One may call it sad, and some may say that I should be ashamed, but I am not. I have come to understand that we all have our downfalls, and I am not at all left out from that category. However, I am thankful that I have understood the error of my ways, and have made the change. This is what life is about….change! A change for the better, and a change for the good.

You may have figured from the paragraph above concerning “change” that I voted for Barack Obama…and yes, you would be right. However, I didn’t vote for him because he is a black man that shares white blood (like most of us), but simply because he has a better regime. He has a better plan to pick America out of the muck and mire that we are presently sinking in. As I listened to the Steve Harvey show this morning, a guest had a good point. We vote for a better America…period. We all must coexist and aside from Barack being black, he is still an American. An American that I believe would make drastic changes for the better if elected into office. Despite all of this, win, lose or draw, this is a big step for America period!

I thank God that I have been able to take part in this smidgen of history. I am grateful that I have not continued to take for granted that which my ancestors sweat, bled and died for. I am thankful for being able to understand the importance of praying for the will of God to be done over my own with this election, and continuing to pray regardless the outcome.

Be blessed!

3 comments:

Babz Rawls Ivy said...

Celebrate Good Times Come ON!

I am so very happy I can barely stand it!

Good for you! Good for us all!

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

yes historic, now lets see what changes in america.
i just hope the red states
dont desire to return to the history pre 1960

The Artist In Me said...

Love: Yes!

Mr. Stephens: I am praying that people understand that we still need to do our part. Afterall, Obama is not God..LOL!