Monday, July 25, 2011

Painting #4 - The Laborers' Union

I don't confess to know much about unions...needless to say, I don't belong to one! However, in the past few months I have been hearing more and more about them.

As I drove across Spring Garden a few weeks ago, I looked to my right and stopped almost in my tracks. I pulled over and immediately snapped a shot. The men that sit in their lawn chairs picketing in front of the Bottom Dollar Foods that I sometimes visit, is the image that came to mind. The sign that they hold saying, "Don't shop at Bottom Dollar, they don't support a union."
At that very moment I decided to complete a painting surrounding what I shot a picture of.

It seems that a union is most important to those that stand in need of representation or negotiation on their behalf. In researching I understand that their is bargaining power in unions. They bargain for improved wages, proper complaint procedures, the rules governing hiring, firing and promotion of workers, fair benefits, and improved policies.

In looking at the Laborers' Local Union 57 website, it is evident that they are fighting for all that is listed above. And to me, anyone that is fighting on the behalf of another to make life better for them is okay in my book. Now, I may not always take heed to those that are picketing outside of stores because there is no union in effect. I shop where I can get the best deal for the product that I am looking for. However, I respect what they need to do in order to protect their livelihood.



There you have it! Check back manana for more painting!!!!

Pearls of Wisdom:
"It was the labor movement that helped secure so much of what we take for granted today. The 40-hour work week, the minimum wage, family leave, health insurance, Social Security, Medicare, retirement plans. The cornerstones of the middle-class security all bear the union label."
~President Barack Obama

Be blessed!!!

No comments: