Wednesday, July 27, 2011

#5 - Bridges of Life

I was slapped in the face by a reality today concerning this project. I was telling a dear sister friend about my plans for this project, which includes of course painting and blogging on a daily basis. No sooner than she stated something like, "Whew that is a lot!" did I think to myself, "I've put the cart before the horse again!"

I reassured her (really myself...lol) that it wasn't an option for me not to do. I have started and stopped so many times that if my life depended on it I would be on a "cooling board". I explained that if a woman who is a wife, mother and career woman can manage to blog daily, so could I.

So here I am attempting to make this thing work! I will paint 365 paintings about the city of Philadelphia, even if it means that it takes me 400 days. I am determined! I wasn't nicknamed tenacious years ago for nothing!!!

Anywho...today's painting subject is the Benjamin Franklin Bridge. I don't have a history on the bridge for you today, although there is much history to be given I am sure.

A bridge by definition is a structure spanning and providing passage over a river, chasm, road, or the like, and a connecting, transitional, or intermediate route or phrase between two adjacent elements, activities, conditions, or the like.

As I read the definition, I thought about life and all of its intricacies. I thought about experiences of the past and how they connect me to my future. I thought about relationships of old and how they make a path for those of new. I thought about how past failed business ventures made way for the success of those businesses I am supposed to have. I thought about financial woes from back in the day that made it possible for me to know that GOD always makes a way. I thought about my sometimes wretched mistakes that helped me to blossom into the woman GOD has me today.

All in all, I understand that there is a purpose for the bridges in life. There are purposes for those things that link you from one journey in life to another. I thank GOD for the bridges, and the people that help make getting over the bridge a smoother process.

For this piece I did a bit of collage at the top. I used tissue paper ripped in strips to create my rendition of the sky at sunset. I decided to use modge podge to secure the tissue paper to the canvas, and painted the image of the bridge on top.



So, there you have it good people! I pray your day was fabulous, and I look forward to seeing you tomorrow!

Pearls of Wisdom:
Do what you know how to do best! The rest, leave for others to do what they do best!!!

Be blessed!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your enthusiasm when you blog. May God Bless you in abundance.

The Artist In Me said...

Hi anonymous (although it would be nice if you weren't :), I appreciate your comment! I thank GOD everyday for this gift of creativity. It truly keeps me going!

Have a wonderful weekend!!!